F.O.G

Mitticool: A refrigerator without electricity

India has 1.3 billion people and 45% of them belongs to a middle-class family. 400 million people live in a salary less than 25000 per month. One of the main constraints of typical Indian middle-class family is budget. It might take even 2-3 months planning to buy a particular product especially if the product is too expensive [3].

Refrigerator market is about 3.5-4 million units in India, valued at 50 billion rupees. The domestic penetration rate is about 9% only. Of this 75% is in urban areas and the rest 25% in rural areas [4]. The possible reason of less market penetration in rural areas is due to their low-income structure. They might not buy refrigerator since it doesn’t come in cheap prices. Improper access to electricity is also a factor for not buying a refrigerator. The average cost of refrigerator is Rs. 10,000/- which is way too much for a family with a monthly income of 25k-30k.

Mr. Mansukhabhai Prajapati who belongs from Gujarat, developed an innovated clay product named as Mitticool Fridge. He himself commercialized Mitticool Fridge and he is a successful entrepreneur [2, 3].

During the 2001 earthquake, all the earthen pots of Morbi area were broken.  Those broken pots were shown in the newspaper photographs with a sentence GARIBI KA FRIDGE TUT GAYA [3]. This particular incident made him inspire to invent the economical refrigerator which is affordable for poor people. Mitticool is a natural refrigerator made entirely from clay. It can be used to store vegetables, fruits and for cooling water during summer time. It does not require any electricity as it has a mechanism of providing natural coolness to the stored materials for 2-3 days. That helps in retaining the original taste of fruits and vegetables. Mitticool is proved to be a very good alternative for the rural people who cannot afford the conventional refrigerator as its market price is only Rs. 3,440/-. Currently they are ready for sale in the market [3].

Moreover, Mitticool has been patented in Mr. Mansukhbhai Prajapati’s name so that other conventional refrigerator companies cannot copy his idea of making such economic refrigerator. He had also received many awards for his innovative invention form many eminent personalities like Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, Pranab Mukherjee, and Pratibha Patil [1].

If Mr. Mansukhbhai was not inspired by that particular incident happened during the 2001 earthquake then there might not have been any Mitticool today [3].

There are many young, passionate and energetic innovators like Mr. Mansukhbhai Prajapati in our country. Due to lack of proper platform and funding many couldn’t continue to do it. So become an innovation catalyst at Bots ‘N Brains and help India to become a better country.

Visit our site: www.botsnbrains.com

Tags

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close