I won’t ask you about your weekend parties, but I would like to know about your weekend mornings. We share a familiar guest every weekend, shouting at the top of his lungs. Yes, “The Kabadiwala”– the guy with a big jute sack and weighing scales moving around the neighbourhood. Now let me present statistics of the generation of waste. Urban India generates around 62 million tons of municipal solid waste every year, and only 25 per cent of this gets treated. The remaining waste ends up in landfills. Whom should we blame for this mismanagement? Is it the inefficiency of scrap dealer or unawareness/laziness of the individuals of the society? To tackle this issue, a Delhi-based startup PopPom was founded by Deepak Sethi and Kishore Thakur.
Pom Pom is a modern-day scrap dealer, and a kind of doorstep pick up service of recyclable waste. It offers you the right return for your recyclables. It buys wasteland from individuals, corporates, residential complexes, theatres, hotels, schools, and institutes. Such waste collected is sent to the segregation facility, where it is further sorted, segregated, and sent for recycling. The startup aims to lower the burden on landfills, conserve natural resources, save energy, and maintain the environment.
The reason why PomPom is better than the traditional scrap dealer services is because
- It offers complete solutions for all sorts of recyclable waste like paper, plastic, metal, cardboard.
- Majority of us are super lazy to walk down and dump our scrap. The PomPom is a doorstep service and picks up waste from our place at a convenient time, unlike weekend mornings.
- You do not need to bargain because you get the right price for your recyclables. PomPom uses electronic weighing scales, thereby providing the highest level of accuracy.
- The payment is quick, and the price offered is way better than other dealers.
If you are not sure what material constitutes recyclable waste then here is the list
- Paper: News Paper, Books, Cereal Boxes, Envelopes, Pamphlets
- Plastics: PET Bottles, Detergent Bottles, Bags, Packaging, Toys
- Metal: Aluminium Cans, Tin Cans, others
- Glass Bottles: All types of glass bottles
If you got any of the products mentioned above, you can book a pickup or can make a booking at www.pompom.in. They also have a mobile app named “Pom Pom Trash to Cash” to avail their services.
There are many advantages to recycling. The major one being it reduces landfills and saves space. It saves energy. Recycling one glass bottle can save enough energy to power a computer for 25 minutes. Recycling helps in preserving natural resources, and as per the studies, recycling one ton of paper saves 17 trees. Also, recycling one ton of plastic bottles saves 16 barrels of oil since plastics are made from oil and oil products. The amount of emission of green-house gases is reduced due to recycling. It also saves trees, oceans, animals, and marine life.
These are some of the significant advantages and can lead to a sustainable environment for our future generations. Indeed, it is the need of the hour!
A simple app has changed the Sunday morning ritual. If you have an idea or an app that can help people, let us know at Bots ‘N Brains. We would love to help you!